As the global leader in writing products, Newell Rubbermaid’s Writing business segment’s powerful lineup includes Sharpie® Paper Mate® pens and pencils, Parker® and Waterman® fine writing instruments, Rotring technical and art instruments Expo® dry erase markers and accessories, Mr. Sketch® scented markers, Prismacolor® art supplies and Liquid Paper® correction products. The Writing segment is Newell Rubbermaid’s largest “Win Bigger” business and is set to play an important role in the brand portfolio as a key driver of company growth.
From encouraging self-expression on almost any canvas and creating an unparalleled, effortless writing experience in an everyday pen and introducing the next generation of young professionals to fine writing, Newell Rubbermaid’s Writing brands are changing the way consumers write worldwide. Our Dymo® brand provides businesses, educational institutions and consumers with innovative ways to share, manage and organize information with improved efficiency and satisfaction. Newell Rubbermaid’s Writing brands deliver superior performance, design and innovation in products consumers of all ages around the world use every day.
Writing Recent Highlights
• Sharpie introduces innovative Neon permanent markers, delivering on the brand’s promise of bold, bright
permanence, and more importantly, expanding the brand’s color story into new territory – ultra-vivid, on-trend
colors that fluoresce, or glow, under blacklight. Paper Mate launched InkJoy®, featuring a new ultra-low viscosity
ink and proprietary ink delivery system, to provide an unparalleled, effortless writing experience and give
consumers worldwide the advanced writing performance of a premium pen at an everyday price.
• Paper Mate Ink Joy’s exciting new multi-faceted marketing campaign helped build the brand. The brand’s
unprecedented A&P investment and highest-ever U.S. media spend on its best-tested television ad, “Joy,” was
supported by millions of product samples and activation at key customers helping to share InkJoy with new
• Paper Mate launched InkJoy®, featuring a new ultra-low viscosity ink and proprietary ink delivery system,
to provide an unparalleled, effortless writing experience and give consumers worldwide the advanced writing
performance of a premium pen at an everyday price.
• Sharpie showcased the work of its most passionate creators in the brand’s first-ever music video premiering
during the 2012 MTV Video Music Awards with the band California Wives. The video featuring hundreds of
user-generated Sharpie fan creations, marked a digital connection with Sharpie’s teen consumers, a
• Patent-pending Parker 5TH™ Technology, the first fine writing system that actually adjusts to each user’s
unique writing style for an exceptionally smooth writing experience, launched in China throughout in
super-premium pop-up stores in cities including Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou.
• Sharpie launched Stained by Sharpie fabric markers, featuring a new pigmented, fade-resistant ink specifically
developed for optimal performance on fabric. The ink does not need to be iron- or heat-set so creations can be
used immediately, and it is designed to withstand machine washing for easy care.
• As Sharpie shifted to innovate beyond its permanent marker foundation, the brand becomes a voice for
self-expression on multiple surfaces and grows usage occasions and the writing category to become the
No. 1 writing brand in the United States.